Dreams are democratic…everyone has them. And as a dreamworker I believe that they come to each of us in the service of health and healing. So, what if you don’t remember your dreams? Does that mean they are not helping you?
I look at it like this: Imagine you are eating in a café, and a pianist is playing beautiful music in one corner of the room. You eat your meal without paying much attention to your surroundings, let alone the lovely music. Does the music still have the enhancing affect it would if you were giving it your attention? Probably not.
But if you tuned in and paid attention, two things would change. First, you would enjoy the relaxing, enlivening affects of the music, and second, the music might improve. Seeing that you’ve become interested in the piece she is playing, the pianist might be inspired to play with more feeling, and create even richer and more melodious tones.
Let’s apply this idea to dreams. Dreams, as stated above, take place whether you “listen” to them or not. And the dream, like the musician, responds to your attention. You will notice that as you make an effort to recall them, they stick with you a little more easily. If you engage with them, by writing them down or discussing them with a friend or dreamworker, if you draw, sing or act them out, they’ll likely become more vivid and more relevant in the nights to come. And as with music, if you learn a little bit about dreams and different ways to understand them, you will appreciate them even more.
So, by shifting your attention—even a little bit–toward the nightly creations that are taking place with our without your active participation, your experience will be enriched by the creative beauty and dark mystery of your dreams.
To learn more about dreams, what they are, where they come from, and how to understand their messages and meanings, contact me.
- Dream Crooner: Music in Dreams (CV) (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)
- Dreamers in the S’News: Happy Birthday Walt! (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)
- Do Your Dream in Color? (or Let’s Banish the Myth of the B&W Dream – CV) (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)
- Exotic Terrain: No Passport Required (CV) (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)
- “In My Own Little Corner” (CV) (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)
- A Poem to Dream On (by Glen Downie) (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)
- Joyful Dreaming (CV) (allthesnoozethatsfittoprint.wordpress.com)